Saturday, April 5, 2008

Reflections on computerlessness

Update:

I've officially been mathematically eliminated from contention in our pool. Darcy can still win, though. Go Kansas and UCLA!

Well, our computer is in the shop (needs a new motherboard, apparently; and God bless Dell's warranty program whereby one can extend a warranty that has been lapsed for an entire year...) so I write from the Fuller library 4th floor computer lab.

In this age of information it's pretty crippling to not have round-the-clock access to the internet. I'm used to being able to check scores, read movie reviews, and search wikipedia for information on the life and works of Goethe on a whim in the middle of the night. Now I'm forced to go to the internet rather than having the internet come to me. I feel like I've been transported back to 1996 (but with slightly less acne). And in case anyone has forgotten, 1996 sucked. Nicholas Cage had just won an Oscar. Nicholas Cage! I swear by the Beard of Zeus, if Nick Cage ever wins another Oscar I don't want to be alive to see it. The music scene was only a little less depressing - Hootie and the Blowfish and Mariah Carey were powerful forces to be reckoned with. The only saving grace was that we were all collectively and joyfully oblivious to the perfect storm just over the horizon that would become the pop tart/boy band craze in a few years. That and Coolio had just released "Gangsta's Paradise." Yep, that "Gangsta's Paradise."

Godspeed, Dell service technicians - I can't take 1996 much longer.

5 comments:

Darcy said...

I like your use of "by the beard of Zeus." :) It made me smile. I am sick of 1996 as well! Please Dell computer people, act quickly and do not delay in sending me my beloved computer back!

Robin said...

Tee-hee! I love the 90's! We're going to have a 90's theme skating party for Ben's birthday this year. I can tell you're going to be REALLY stoked!

anonymous said...

Hmm ... I'll have a tough decision between my Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam t-shirts. I'm serious, by the way...

A&L King said...

I am amazed of your ability to add a sport note into your blog which had nothing to do about sports. I know the mid 90's were a drag but if recall correctly isn't '96 around the time of Radiohead's "OK Computer" album?

anonymous said...

I was mistaken - that album was still a year away. Pablo Honey - '93, The Bends - '95, and OK Computer - '97. Unfortunately, I don't associate Radiohead with the 90's because I never got into them until my freshman year of college (2000-2001) even though the decade made them superstars.