Friday, January 2, 2009

2008 wrap-up

I know I'm a couple of days late here, but I wanted to get a year-end blog post in about my favorite stuff of 2008...

Adam's album of the year: Fleet Foxes (by Fleet Foxes). Beautiful, fragile and haunting. It was released in June but I just found it recently thanks to an iTunes giftcard and a well-heeded endorsement in December's GQ magazine. I'm really infatuated with this record right now.
Runners up: Bon Iver's For Emma Forever Ago, Conor Oberst's self-titled solo effort, Coldplay's Viva la Vida, and 808's & Heartbreak from Kanye West (for its originality and depth of emotion, not necessarily for the quality of Kanye's singing).

Adam's movie of the year: The Visitor, a moving and profound meditation on multiculturalism, US immigration policy, the insular worlds that we construct for ourselves to prevent real contact with others (especially those who are different) and the power of music to break through these barriers. This film gets my strongest recommendation.
Runners up: Rachel Getting Married and Burn After Reading. I'm still looking forward to catching Milk and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

Feel free to share your own favorites from 2008 - I'll be glad to hear your recommendations. Have a happy and safe 2009!

1 comment:

david said...

I've got the Sun Giant EP by Fleet Foxes and just love it. I'm anxious to get their full-length. Glad to hear the good recommendation from you.