Thursday, November 8, 2007

In Rainbows



Lately I've been pretty obsessed with Radiohead's new song Videotape. If you happen to have seen me at any given moment over the past two weeks, there's a strong chance that I was thinking about the song right then. It's quite beautiful in a very Radiohead sort of way, which is to say unspeakably melancholy. I'll admit that I was predisposed to like the new release after my favorite band gave a big "screw you" to the recording industry (whom I despise) and released an album for whatever one feels like paying (which I appreciate). But I still wasn't prepared for the sublime experience of listening to track 10 for the first time. I also wasn't prepared for the backlash from Darcy for the increased ipod use. She likes conversation. With me.

I'm going to attempt to explain my affinity for the song, fully aware that I will very likely end up babbling like an idiot for a dozen lines before any vestige of apparent sanity that I once had will disappear and I'll be left muttering "... you just have to listen to it ... you just have to listen to it ..." while rocking back and forth like Dustin Hoffman in his Oscar winning performance as Raymond Babbitt. Nevertheless, let's start with the title. In 2007 is there a more antiquated notion than videotape? You might as well name your song "Harpsichord Playing on a Victrola." That didn't stop Thom. Then there's the sad love song aspect, which I adore. The world does not need another song about loving your boyfriend almost as much as puppies and cotton candy. The world does need more songs where the narrator inexplicably walks away from the relationship at the end.
Lyrically, Thom name drops Mephistopheles. Do you really need to know more about the lyrics than that? I thought not. And then there's the musical aspects: piano, muted bass, and almost negligible percussion. Typical Radiohead use of dissonance to build suspense. Exceedingly simple yet catchy melody. Lack of guitars from the band that made its name with its three-guitar attack on The Bends. No back-up vocals. Unfortunately, that's the extent of my musical knowledge. Oh wait, EveryGoodBirdDoesFly. Now that really is the extent of my musical knowledge ... it's just an all-around good song, though.

At any rate, I get the sense from myself that this obsession is going to run its course over the next few weeks, but please be patient with me until then. Especially you, Darcy.

4 comments:

Darcy said...

Okayyyy... I'll try :-) But me and your "f-pod" (that's what I call it... can you guess what the "f" stands for) are still enemies.

Robin said...

Wowzers! Darcy really hates that thing! But you've convinced me to take a listen. Well done.

anonymous said...

Would you believe that she bought it for me two Christmases ago?

Robin said...

Sometimes we regret what we give. Profound, I know. BTW: TAG!