Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Wish me luck

Well, I am very much looking forward to Thanksgiving with Adam, Mary, Lauren, Andrew and Robin. And Darcy too. Darcy's cool. We don't want to forget her. I will be missing Ben. Drinking beer and watching football all day won't be the same without him. And without being at his house and getting to watch his cat attack Andrew's face.

A few days ago I somewhat rashly (and quite possibly foolishly) declared that I would prepare a couple of dishes to bring. I was a little upset when I realized that Darcy had volunteered to bring only things that she makes, specifically pies and appetizers. See, I enjoy cooking. I'm also better at it than Darcy. She bakes, I cook. That's the way it generally goes in our house. I especially enjoy cooking for friends, so Thanksgiving is right up my alley and I was a little irritated at being left out of the preparation plans. "What about cranberry sauce???" I asked furiously. "And cornbread! People need cornbread! It's Thanksgiving, for the love of Myles Standish!" I didn't really say that last part, but it would have been funny if I had. Go ahead, look up Myles Standish on Wikipedia. I'll wait.

Long story short, in a fit of passion I exclaimed that I would make cranberry sauce and cornbread for Thanksgiving dinner despite the fact that I've never actually made either one. Or personally seen the process of making either. Not to be deterred, I looked up some recipes online and, much to my relief, discovered that cranberry sauce is quite easy. We also found an awesome looking recipe for southwest style cornbread. Should be spicy.

Hopefully all goes well.

3 comments:

Robin said...

Good luck. Especially since I'll be partaking. Between you and your wife, you've got most of the dinner covered! I'm bringing beer in honor of Ben.

A&L King said...

They both turned out to be a great success. I was quite impressed.

AK

Jon said...

So now that I'm finished with my papers I'm reading blogs. Gotta say that in the Sampson household I cook and Grete bakes. I'm impressed with your big plans for Thanksgiving. Mine were to do as little work as possible :).