Monday, July 7, 2008

baseball thoughts

Just saw the best pitching performance of my live baseball watching career. Hiroki Kuroda (very likely available in a fantasy league near you) unleashed an absolute gem against the Braves - check this out: 9 innings pitched, 0 earned runs, 1 hit, 0 walks, 6 K's. He took a perfect game into the 8th inning, but, alas, I had to settle for a complete game shutout instead. Dodgers victory, 3-0.

Another plus: gametime was 2:03 so I made it home by 10:00. Darcy was happy about that.

Mixed emotions about the big CC trade (big both literally and figuratively). I've followed him since the Indians drafted him out of high school at age 17 so I kind of feel like I watched him grow up. And out (ok, no more fat jokes, but take a good look at him - seriously, do it). So it's sad to see him traded to Milwaukee. On the other hand, it's not like the Indians are doing anything this season (37-51 and 14 games behind the Sox before the break) so we might as well move him before he becomes a free agent and we get nothing. Sounds like we got some decent prospects, but I'm not going to pretend that I've heard of any of them before today. I guess there's always next year. Such is life for the fans of small market teams.

1 comment:

david said...

I still haven't given up hope that they have a chance to resign him in the offseason. The Brewers sure won't. So the Indians better make an offer. They have offered lots of dollars, just not the years he wants. Maybe we'll get lucky and nobody else will want to give him the years either after seeing disaster signings like Barry Zito. That would be amazing to get these prospects AND keep C.C. We shall see. It will be an interesting offseason.