Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Further thoughts on the Olympics

Some reflections on last night's games:

1) I realized that the post-routine hug in womens (girls???) gymnastics is roughly analogous to the between-free-throws high five in the NBA: obligatory and utterly meaningless.

2) I think that, in this Olympics, the more remarkable occurrence is when a world record doesn't get broken in swimming.

3) Despite having a relatively small sample size (American women who competed in the floor routine last night), I feel confident in asserting that, as a society, we need to do a better job of teaching our young ladies boundaries.

That's all for now.

5 comments:

david said...

Good to see you're enjoying the Olympics as much as I am. I think they blew their load on the swimming relay from the first night though. Nothing is going to live up to that. From here on out it's just Phelps crushing everyone. Hopefully there will be some good finishes in track and/or field.

Darcy said...

:) You are funny. Nice interpretation about boundaries. Very therapisty - you are going to fit right in my dear :)

Robin said...

Ah...boundaries. It's a complicated issue, really. Because we also encourage girls to push the limits (glass ceiling and all). Give USA a break - we just want bigger tumbling mats. Bigger is better, right?!

:)

Darcy said...

Robin - good observation about pushing boundaries. Also - I like your little icon thing... an animated Robin!

Unknown said...

I hate the world record line that goes along the whole time. If someone is not in front of it, I am now trained to think they suck. Of course, new technology in swimsuits could have a lot to do with it, so now we can't even compare these performances to the Olympics of the 70's...kinda like baseball.