Monday, October 13, 2008

movie review

Hey everyone. I just wanted to put in a quick plug for all of my budding-therapist (as well as my psychologically-astute non-therapist type) friends: go see Rachel Getting Married. If you took family systems theory and turned it into a movie it would look just like this. Seriously. For those of you who are fortunate enough to live in or near Pasadena, it's conveniently playing at the Laemmle on Colorado.

It's truly a stunning movie. The wife and I watched it Saturday afternoon and I still can't stop thinking about it this morning. It's directed by Jonathan Demme, but I saw one review that described it as "Altmanesque" and I thought: "Yeah, sure, that sounds good in a review but how much can it really look (and sound) like an Altman picture?" Answer: very much. Demme really knocked it out of the park and delivered an exceptionally well-crafted (albeit emotionally raw) movie. The characters were well-rounded and three dimensional, and the actors' performances were utterly realistic (the early Oscar buzz for Anne Hathaway is legit, by the way).

A caveat: I wouldn't recommend going to see this movie if you're feeling especially depressed. You might hurl yourself in front of a bus on the way home. And I wouldn't want that on my conscience. Wait until you're feeling a little more stable and then go see the film.

No comments: