Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Movie review: Up

Well, on Monday the wife and I were feeling a bit stressed after a schoolwork-filled and altogether unrestful weekend so we decided to catch an afternoon movie, a rare treat for us. Curious about what all the fuss was about, we opted for Pixar's Up.

I accept the proposition that last year Wall-E redefined what an animated film can be. Up does that, only much more so. While appropriate for the younger set, it's definitely not a kids' movie. It's a 96 minute meditation on grief and loss and regret featuring an elderly widower (Ed Asner) as its protagonist. It's heart-felt and emotionally raw, but the emotion feels genuine and never contrived. It's also hilarious. But it'll still make you cry. Seriously, it will. I can't remember the last time I cried because of a movie. I didn't even cry when I was 6 and Bambi's mother was shot, but I had a tear roll down my cheek during Up.

The verdict: I submit that this is the best film of the year so far. It's really not even close, especially if you only consider wide releases. Go see it. If you regret it come see me so I can tell you that you're an inhuman monster to your face.

4 comments:

ben wideman said...

Totally agree - although I have to say, I didn't cry even one tear. I must be a robot.

anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not sure why it touched me the way it did. Totally didn't expect it going in, but it happened nonetheless.

Jonathan Gross said...

I appreciate this review. I think Sabrina and I will use our movie gift card, which we have had for a year and a half now, for this film. I hope I am not an inhuman monster :o)

I cried reading Harry Potter IV, and not when you know what happens at the end, somewhere in the middle when Harry and Ron stop fighting. So yeah, I'm a sucker sometimes, if it catches me in the right way at the right time.

Cafe Observer said...

I think bw wasn't cryin bcuz the Cavaliers weren't his team.
Residual effect.