Tuesday, January 8, 2008

It sure has been a while

Wow. Sorry to all of my loyal readers out there, and to you disloyal readers as well.

At Darcy's urging, here's the soundtrack to my life:

Opening credits: Hate to Say I Told You So, The Hives (Seems oddly appropriate here, doesn’t it?)

Waking up: The Upper Peninsula, Sufjan (Wake up; here’s a song to make you want to stay in bed.)

First day of school: Mistaken for Strangers, The National (School can be an alienating experience … unless you get to eat lunch with the popular kids, then it’s the best thing ever.)

Falling in love: Conquest, The White Stripes (Never really thought of myself as the guy from this song before.)

Fight song: Faust Arp, Radiohead (Kind of pretty for a fight song; quite short too … maybe this says a little something about my angst. Or maybe falling in love was only a partial conquest, like the Israelites in Canaan.)

Breaking up: Time for Heroes, The Libertines (Be strong, self. And don’t become a junkie like Pete Doherty.)

Prom: Mary don’t you weep, Mike Farris (You don’t hear many old old gospel songs at prom and it’s a shame if you ask me … now if only I stood up a girl named Mary at my prom, but alas – was not to be.)

Life: The Celibate Life, The Shins (Well that’s just sad; it does provide some insight into my impending mental breakdown though…)

Mental breakdown – Such Great Heights, The Postal Service (Apparently I’m actively psychotic with hallucinations and delusions of grandeur. All because of that celibacy. Thanks a lot, celibacy.)

Driving – Garden, Pearl Jam (This song reminds me of driving … in about 1997. I must have just gotten my license.)

Flashback – Natural Blues, Moby (Looks like it’s a flashback to something sad.)

Wedding – Narc, Interpol (“Don’t give up your lover tonight 'cause it’s just you, me and this wire ...” let’s hope not.)

Birth of child – The Hospital Song, Ben Folds Five (Seems appropriate enough.)

Final battle – Forever for Her (Is Over for Me), White Stripes (This is a pretty good song for ending something.)

Death – Reckoner, Radiohead (Second In Rainbows song so far in case anyone’s counting.)

Funeral – Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?, Moby (Maybe because it’s not beating anymore and you’re dead? Just a guess.)

Closing credits – Mrs. Robinson, Simon and Garfunkel (Whoman and Whatfunkel??? Sorry, that’s my little joke. Mine wouldn’t be the first movie to close with this song. It certainly wouldn’t be the best either.)


2 comments:

Darcy said...

:) I liked your commentary as well.

Robin said...

Of course you're mr. cool pants with all your cool songs. Our neighbor gave us a Christmix cd he made for friends and families - I think it's right up your alley, if you want to borrow it.