Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oscar Picks

Since it's the season to be talking movies, here are my Oscar picks. Please note that while I enjoy films quite a bit I have not seen several of the major movies of 2007 since I have other hobbies as well.

Supporting Actress: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There (It really was quite a remarkable performance.)
Supporting Actor:
Javier Bardem, No Country For Old Men (Creepy. And evil.)
Lead Actress: Ellen Page, Juno (This is actually the only one of the Best-Actress-Nominated films I've seen. Am I a closet misogynist? Do I secretly despise Edith Piaf
? The world may never know.)
Lead Actor: Clooney was very good in Michael Clayton, but I've got to give the edge to Viggo Mortensen and his tattoos in Eastern Promises (This is where my disclaimer comes in; see, I haven't seen Daniel Day-Lewis and his ridiculously hyped performance in There Will Be Blood. Nor have I seen Johnny Depp sing as Sweeney Todd. Cut me some stinkin' slack already.)
Picture and Director go to No Country For Old Men and the Coens. They're good.
Random gripe: I already admitted to not having seen There Will Be Blood, but by all accounts Johnny Greenwood got screwed. Seriously, Ratatouille was nominated for best score at the expense of my boy Greenwood? What gives? I'm just going to go ahead and say it: Ratatouille sucked. The human main character was annoying. The rat was a little better but occasionally boring. All in all it was a very underwhelming viewing experience for me after I went into it with high hopes predicated on an insane amount of positive reviews. And then it goes and disrespects Johnny Greenwood like that. Ratatouille and I are about to have it out.




2 comments:

Darcy said...

I liked your picks for the most part. I am hoping the Atonement wins best picture. Of course, I did not see No Country for Old Men but I still think I would pick Atonement b/c it was really good. I really don't think Ellen Page will win but I hope she does. Also, I hope that the girl who played the young Briony in Atonement wins best supporting actress.

Unknown said...

I have to disagree about Rat...but then again I borrowed the DVD, so it didn't cost me anything to watch the film. Plus, knowing it is a dig at Disney and put out by Disney makes me like it even more.