Thursday, January 24, 2008

Music in 2007

How about a (somewhat belated) top ten albums of 2007 list? I thought so.

Honorable Mention: Neon Bible, The Arcade. Enjoyable, but I found it to be a little over-hyped. Like when people said the AF is the best band ever (presumably with a straight face) after their second album. Favorite tracks: Windowsill, Intervention, Antichrist Television Blues.

10) The Reminder, Feist. Bought it for Darcy, but enjoyed it for myself. Favorite tracks: Brandy Alexander, 1234 (the ipod song).

9) The Historical Conquests of Josh Ritter, Josh Ritter. Not as good as the Animal Years. Still quite good. Favorite tracks: The Temptation of Adam, Right Moves, Rumors.

8) Icky Thump, The White Stripes. I docked them a couple of spots for canceling their fall tour on me. We put our refund toward tickets to see the Decemberists in November. They canceled their tour too. Still a little bitter about that sequence of events. Favorite tracks: You Don't Know What Love Is (You Just Do as You're Told), Effect and Cause, Icky Thump.

7) Snow Angels, Over the Rhine. This is a Christmas album I haven't stopped listening to yet. It's the end of January. And I hate Christmas music. Favorite tracks: New Redemption Song, All I Ever Get for Christmas is Blue.

6) Instant Karma, Various Artists. Great songs redone (with varying degrees of aptitude) by some big names. All to support Amnesty International (full disclosure: I am a member and supporter of this awesome organization. additional disclosure: I have their sticker on my car). Favorite tracks: (Green Day's) Working Class Hero, (Jack Johnson's) Imagine.

5) Wincing the Night Away, The Shins. Solid album, listenable from start to finish. First Shins disc I've purchased. Favorite tracks: Turn on Me, Phantom Limb.

4)
Cassadaga, Bright Eyes. Some truly amazing songs, a little long overall though. A song or two could have been cut and released as a B-side and it wouldn't have hurt the album. Favorite tracks: Soul Singer in a Session Band, If the Brakeman Turns My Way, Classic Cars.

3) Boxer, The National. The ranking may be a little inflated since this is the last album I've purchased and it's what I'm listening to right now, but I'm liking it a lot. Not a bad song on here. Favorite tracks: Fake Empire, Start a War, Mistaken for Strangers.

2) The Shepherd's Dog, Iron and Wine. To quote Andrew again: "He's a metaphorical genius but I can't understand what he's talking about." True. Luckily if you get tired of thinking about his lyrics you can sit back and enjoy his beautiful melodies. Favorite tracks: Boy With a Coin, Flightless Bird American Mouth, House by the Sea, Resurrection Fern.

1) In Rainbows, Radiohead. To paraphrase Rolling Stone's review: This album serves as a reminder that every other band owes us a collective apology for the crap they keep shoveling in our direction. It's awesome. And you've missed your chance to get it for free. Favorite tracks: Videotape, Faust Arp, Weird Fishes, House of Cards.

2 comments:

Darcy said...

good job, love. I have already decided that I am not doing a top ten list of CDs - I don't think I could name ten CDs that I have listened to completely in the past year. But I'm glad you included Over the Rhine and Feist. Sufjan needs to step it up and release a new CD already!

A&L King said...

Great top ten! I like your music taste.