Tuesday, June 24, 2008

oh, dear

"I think he's deliberately distorting the traditional understanding of the Bible to fit his own worldview, his own confused theology ... dragging biblical understanding through the gutter."
-James Dobson, responding to, and frankly mischaracterizing, an address delivered by Barack Obama at a Christian conference on 6/28/2006.

Well played, Dobson, well played. Not only are you two years late, but you feel free to criticize on a matter (biblical interpretation) far outside your area of "expertise" (which is - allegedly - child and adolescent psychology).

Hmm ... distorting the bible to support one's pre-existing worldview ... that sounds awfully familiar ... wait ...

...
...
...

that's not something that American Empire-worshiping, neglect-the-poor, homophobic, closed-minded, science-denying, militant, xenophobic, corporate tax-cutting, race-baiting, hypocritical, patriarchal, anti-environmentalist, protect-the-fetuses-but-ignore-the-children, free-market-glorifying, go-ahead-and-disregard-the-words-of-Jesus-if-you-find-them-inconvenient, vindictive, rapture-obsessed, self-righteous, conservative evangelical christians would do, is it? I sure hope not. Because that wouldn't help to prove Dobson's point very much.

6 comments:

david said...

Amen, dude. That's all I can say.

Darcy said...

:) Dobson is a tool

anonymous said...

Well, yeah, criticizing Dobson is like unearthing something unsavory about Richard Nixon (i.e. is easy), but I tried to use that as an entry point into the uniquely American breed of evangelicalism that has all but co-opted the voice of Christianity in recent years.

Robin said...

Seriously, Adam, start saying what you mean and meaning what you say, because this whole allusive stance you have on matters is really starting to get to me. Just tell me what your opinion is and stop beating around the bush already!

*ahem* no pun intended

Joshua S. said...

I put on my facebook update that I think james dobson is silly. I liked the way you put it better.

UberMom2 said...

Preach it, brother! I couldn't agree more.