Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A change of pace

I've been advised that to continue talking about baseball all the time is to risk alienating my non-baseball following audience (thanks for keeping me grounded, Robin). It's going to be difficult with the Good Guys taking a 3-1 lead last night and CC on the mound again tomorrow, but since I've always been one to give the people what they want: here it goes...


I've promised Darcy that I would take her to see The Darjeeling Limited this weekend (she has a bit of a crush on Jason Schwartzman, I have a bit of a crush on Wes Anderson, let's just hope that neither one develops into anything more than that) which got me thinking: What is up with all the high quality motion pictures coming out right now? There are no less than 10 movies out right now that I really wouldn't mind seeing. It's true that it's been a few months since I've been to my local cinema (ah, Simpsons Movie, I've finally beheld your splendor and can die in peace), but that's more of a function of me not wanting to see any of the feces that passes for filmmaking these days than it is of me not being on my game and missing quality films. Andthenallofasudden the theaters are jam-packed full of quality fare. Michael Clayton ... 3:10 to Yuma ... Gone Baby Gone ... Eastern Promises (all right, that one's been out for a little while) ... The Assassination of Jesse James ... Lars and the Real Girl ... and here we are on the cusp of No Country for Old Men and American Gangster, not to mention quality documentaries and independent films. What gives?


I know all about the "Oscar Season" crap that Hollywood pulls out this time of year where the studios shove out their most thought-provoking, suck-up-to-anyone-with-an-IQ-greater-than-a-mushroom movies in hopes that they'll be fresh in the Academy's collective mind for award season. But really. Isn't there a better way to run an industry than catering to junior high boys for four straight months and then suddenly switching to people who care about quality as opposed to explosions, cleavage, and whatever else you can get away with in a PG13 movie nowadays? I'm not even going to make it to the theater to see half of these films because there's just not enough time even though I really want to. (By the way, I'm fully aware that the word "nowadays" makes me sound like an old man on a porch in a rocking chair complaining about whippersnappers and Democrats. There's no need to point this out in my comments.)


The point is, Hollywood sucks. Spread out the good films a little bit, Hollywood, you greedy little jerk. It's really in your best interest.

4 comments:

Robin said...

Who knew I had so much power?! Very enlightening blog, friend. And I whole-heartedly agree. And please, never stop using "nowadays."

Darcy said...

[Big Sigh] Yes. I wish we had enough time and money to go see all the good movies out right now. I can't wait to see The Darjeeling Limited!!!

A&L King said...

i really like that you collectively called hollywood a "greedy little jerk"

david said...

Completely agree. I watch Ebert and Roeper every week to get an idea of what movies look good and I keep a list. My list over the past month or so is just massive.