Thursday, October 11, 2007

Disrespect

So yesterday we had a movie to return to Blockbuster (Knocked Up, a pretty solid "B" or "B+") and we had to pick up some things from Trader Joe's (California-based grocery chain for hippies - naturally I love it; can't get enough). These two destinations are about a block apart so I parked the car at the TJ lot (My bike was stolen about a year ago so I can't transport myself in a manner consistent with the TJ experience, but we bring our own bags in an attempt to be more responsible. And to fit in.) and walked over to Blockbuster to return the movie while Darcy began shopping.

According to an eye-witness report (Darcy's), while I was walking to Blockbuster Darcy was sorting through TJ's outdoor pumpkin bins in search of that perfect, symmetrical, orange-hued gourd, when she over heard a conversation from near the parking lot. Two gentlemen - one older and one younger - were discussing the ALCS and each team's likelihood of advancing to the World Series. The older gentleman, leaning on his bike, said, loudly: "F--- the Indians. F--- the Indians. I'm so sick of them."

Wow. What on this sweet but gradually warming earth is this man's problem??? He's sick of a team that makes the playoffs once a decade? He's sick of a team from which your average fan could not name five players? I sat dumbstruck as I heard this story recounted to me in vivid detail. I had always known that there were probably Indians haters out there, somewhere, but it had always seemed so abstract and distant. Now that I had (almost) had a brush with one I had to find an explanation. I eventually concluded that he must either be a huge Yankees or Tigers fan, because those are the only two teams that we've screwed over lately (so far), and that's a fresh wound if I've ever heard one, albeit secondhand.

All I can say is it's a good thing I was returning that movie at the time, because if there's anything that could make this pacifist sucker punch an old man with a bike that would be it.

Blessings, even to you Yankees fans out there.

-a

2 comments:

Darcy said...

I just want to say a few things.

First, I only heard a snippet of the conversation between the old man on the bike and the other guy. So, we don't really know what exactly he was sick of.

Second, I debated about telling Adam because I knew he would get mad. And I was right - he did get mad.

Third, I'm so glad he wasn't with me at the time or else I think he would have done something that I would not be proud of...

anonymous said...

something like punch an old man in the face???